Wednesday, September 15, 2010

6 week PP checkup

Hey  y'all.  I went to my checkup yesterday.  I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was so used to going when I was pregnant that I knew the routine by heart.  This checkup involved taking my weight, blood pressure and a pelvic exam.  It wasn't the MOST comfortable thing, being that Dr. B "got up in there" to check my uterus.  It was like a pelvic exam that they do to check your cervix while pregnant.  Everything is A OK.  We are "official" for take off.  OOPS =)

I asked her about birth control and here are the deets.
birth control shot-The shot is good for 3 months.  So every 3 months you need to get it.  It sounds great BUT it can take 6-18 months to get your period back.  Not ideal if you want to wait a year to try again to get pregnant, like we do.
IUD-This would be inserted and would prevent pregnancy fine hormone free, BUT since we want to try in a year to get pregnant Dr. B said its not worth the expense.  If we were going to wait a couple of years, it would make sense to get the IUD.
THE PILL: For breastfeeding mamas, like me, I was concerned about this.  She told me of the progesterone only pill, that would prevent pregnancy plus not interfere with my breastmilk or Ava.

So what did I choose?
THE PILL.  Although, I was against it, it makes more sense for us and our "plan" (haha, we all know when we make plans, God laughs at us)  I did set an alarm on my phone for a daily reminder. "Pregnancy brain" doesn't stop apparently!

About the scale....dun dun dunnnnn. I weigh 131.  I am 11lbs over my 6week pregnancy weight.  I would like to get to 115-118 again to fit into my smaller clothes.  I am comfortable there.  I don't want to get to my smallest weight of 101lbs. That was ridiculous.  I got so caught up, I didn't see the forest for the trees.

My workout today:
Cardio:
25 min on  the "dread-mill".  Walk 2 min, jog 2 min, sprint 1 min.  I did this 3 times.  The last 2, I jogged 4 and sprinted 1 min.
Weights:(remember I am starting back, so do assume I will lift heavy.  I lifted to fatigue today.)
Leg Extensions 3x14 40lbs
Combo-DB bicep curls/shoulder press 3x20 8lbs
Lying prone Hamstring Curls-3x14 30lbs
Standing DB Rows 3x12 8lbs

I have soooo missed the endorphins from working out.  I wish I could bottle that feeling of euphoria.  I felt great yesterday and today in my workouts.  I was determined and pushed myself and felt worthwhile.  I am starting to feel good about how I look now.  I have a way to go until my goal, but for now, for today I am happy with myself and how I look.  (So is Clint! wink wink!)  I took for granted the feeling of being able to do things like run and push myself that last minute, bend down and grab a dumbbell, do an ab workout.  I wouldn't trade my pregnancy FOR THE WORLD, but I love being able to workout without restraint.  I don't work out just for a rocking bod, but it clears my head, pushes me past what I think I might be able to do and makes me realize I can do it if I am determined. 

Bring on the sweat!!!

5 comments:

  1. omgosh!i just posted about my 6wk pp check up and my workout!i did give you a shout out btw...seems we are thinking along the same pages these days!!!!

    glad to hear all went well at the dr and that you had a great workout! keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you talk about working out and what it does to you, it makes me want to go to the gym!! You would make a great motivational speaker!! Glad you are able to do what you love again.

    I am a bit concerned that the pregnancy brain doesn't stop!??! I thought once I gave birth my brain would go back into pre-pregnancy mode! Oh well..it's a small price to pay for such an incredible experience! HEHE!

    Happy to hear all was ok with your check-up and that you got the all clear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to work out more.... I used to work out 3x a day, and I was at a size 5, which was my smallest size even. I felt sooo good and looked it to!

    Then, I got married and had a baby and the rest is downhill from there.

    Right now it's just so hard for me to find the time, but I need to practice what I preach. "If something is important, then you'll make time for it"... that's true.

    The sad part is that we have an elliptical machine sitting in our living room, so it's not like I can't just hop on there when I have a few extra minutes. After all, if you can do all that with a 6-week old, surely I can do that with a 6-month old!

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a heads up on the progesterone-only pill; for me, every day 6 hrs after I took it I bled. My SIL bled every day she took it non-stop (she did stop when she switched to regular BCP after she stopped BFing). Glad you're working out again - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had 2 IUD's (non-hormonal). The first was placed 6 weeks after giving birth. Within a year, it had slipped down in my uterus and began causing complications. The second was okay but was removed precautionarily due to recent issues that were unrelated. Are you planning to have a second child soon? Ava is beautiful! I have missed you blog.

    ReplyDelete