Monday, August 15, 2011

Oh, my hip!

It has been HEC.TIC at work lately and the only time I can blog is at work.  Funny huh?!?!  Well, the biggest news is that I have hip bursitis.  Last week, my leg started bothering me and I shortened my runs so I wouldn't injure myself bad.  Wednesday, I decided to run from home because it was overcast and the temp had dropped some....to 90 degrees haha!  So, on my run I went.  I was feeling pretty good, but slow about a mile in.  My first mile is NEVER fun for me.  By the 2 mile turn around I was really slow and favoring my hip.  By 2.25 miles I was limping.  I swallowed my pride and called Clint to come pick me up.  I was almost 2 miles from home and was in NO shape to get there any time soon!  I felt defeated and irritated that he had to come get me, but proud that I called him.  The next morning I could barely walk. Hip bursitis reared its ugly ugly head
What is hip bursitis?
"There are two major bursae of the hip, the trochanteric bursa and the ischial bursa. Inflammation of either can be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone."

What causes hip bursitis?
"Most commonly, bursitis is a noninfectious condition (aseptic bursitis) caused by inflammation resulting from local soft tissue trauma or straininjury. On rare occasions, the hip bursa can become infected with bacteria. This condition is called septic bursitis. Although uncommon, the hip bursa can become inflamed by crystals that deposit there from gout orpseudogout."

What are hip bursitis symptoms?

"Trochanteric bursitis frequently causes tenderness of the outer hip, making it difficult for patients to lie on the involved side, frequently causing difficult sleep. Trochanteric bursitis also causes a dull, burning pain on the outer hip that is often made worse with excessive walking or stair climbing. The ischial bursa is located in the upper buttock area. Ischial bursitis can cause dull pain in this area that is most noticeable when climbing uphill. The pain sometimes occurs after prolonged sitting on hard surfaces, hence the names "weaver's bottom" and "tailor's bottom."
Bursitis of the hip is the most common cause of hip pain."

What is the treatment for hip bursitis?

"The treatment of any bursitis depends on whether or not it involves infection. Noninfectious or aseptic hip bursitis can be treated with ice compresses, rest, and anti-inflammatory and pain medications. Occasionally, it requires aspiration of the bursa fluid. This procedure involves removal of the fluid with a needle and syringe under sterile conditions. It can be performed in the doctor's office. Sometimes the fluid is sent to the laboratory for further analysis. Frequently, there is inadequate fluid accumulation for aspiration. Noninfectious hip bursitis can be treated with an injection of cortisonemedication, often with an anesthetic, into the swollen bursa. This is sometimes done at the same time as the aspiration procedure.
Patients with hip bursitis can often benefit by weight reduction, stretching exercises, and wearing proper footwear for exercise activities. Sometimes physical-therapy programs can be helpful. Generally, patients should avoid hills and stairs and direct pressure on the affected hip (sleep on the other side), when possible, while symptoms are present. Affected people should also avoid exercising on inclined surfaces and stairs, especially running hills, until symptoms have resolved.
Septic bursitis (rare in the hip) requires even further evaluation by a doctor. This is unusual in the hip bursa but does occur. The bursal fluid can be examined in the laboratory to identify the precise bacteria causing the infection. Septic bursitis requires antibiotic therapy, often intravenously. Repeated aspiration of the infected fluid may be required. Surgical drainage and removal of the infected bursa sac (bursectomy) may also be necessary."

What is the prognosis for hip bursitis?

"Usually hip bursitis responds completely to conservative treatments. Either oral or injectable anti-inflammatory medications frequently resolve the symptoms within a week. Infectious bursitis must be cured with antibiotic treatment often with surgical drainage."


Picture of the Anatomy of the Hip

I am no going on Day 5 without a run.  To be honest, I am cranky and irritable.  Running is my stress releiver, my time to let life go, my time to be me.  Not a mama, wife, sister, or daughter, but ME!  It is the only hour I ask for and without that I am struggling!!!  I am getting treatment for it at work and today is the first day I can walk without a limp, but I am still only about 65%.  A few more days and I hope to get my running shoes back on.  Although, I do need new tennies.  The average miles on running shoes is 300-350 miles and then you get new ones.  I hit 478 miles last week on the same shoes.  Um, yeah I have over ran my shoes!  

Have you had to deal with an injury?
How did you cope?

No comments:

Post a Comment