Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hip(or so I thought) diagnosis

Wow it seems like eons since I have written a post.  In all honesty, I have been avoiding my blog and my google reader like the plague.  It makes me sad to read about everyone's workouts and runs.  Why do you ask?
Well, remember my hip post. Not a "cool" post but hip as in on my body.  Well, it started as hip bursitis and has moved to my back and continued to get worse.  I haven't been able to run in 2 weeks.  My boss/chiropractor has been adjusting me and has done some ultrasound treatments on my and my bursitis healed right up.  My back on the other hand has not, if not worse.
Symptoms:

  • CAN NOT WALK without a limp because of the horrible pain in my lower back/butt area.  
  • Sometimes if I move a certain way, it feels like I am getting stabbed in that area and my leg wants to give out.
  • I have radiating pain down my right leg and sometimes in my lower butt/groin area.
  • Sitting gets uncomfortable.
  • Putting weight on my right leg(putting pants on) IMPOSSIBLE.
  • Sleeping in any direction is sometimes painful and always uncomforable.
I went to a bone and joint doctor today.  I have suspected a sacral stress fracture all along.  I KNEW something wasn't right when it a) wasn't getting better in 2 weeks of doing nothing but daily life b)it didn't feel like a muscle problem c)Ibuprofen didn't seem to help.  I stopped taking it after a week of no relief.
I had done all of the research on a stress fracture.  I seemed to have ALL of the signs and symptoms.  I was prepared to be told I would be on crutches and it would take months to recover let alone no running! 

My boss called and got me an appt where they could work me in today.  
I got an xray of all views of my back and waited on the doc.  He asked me some questions and made me do some stretches.  

Diagnosis:
LUMBAR BULGING DISK.  Huh? WHAT?  I was not prepared for that.  He told me to rest and gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory.  He said I could swim or do the elliptical, unless it hurt.  As soon as I got to the office I HAD to do some research!
  •  What is a bulging disk ? 
It's a disk whose edge is bulging into the spinal canal ,where the nerves traverse to theforamina. This can be produced by swelling of the nucleus, diminishing of the intervertebral space, etc. In most cases is asymptomatic and it is merely a radiological finding. But if this bulge is big enough it will impinge the nerves, giving the symptoms and signs of a herniated disk and for practical purposes it has to be considered as such. 
http://www.trejos.com/Trejos/faqHDL.stm#2
  • What are the symptoms? 
          "Bulging disc symptoms will begin at the point of pressure and radiate to where the affected nerve root travels. Bulging disc symptoms are usually worse when you're active and gets better when you're resting. Bending forward, driving, coughing, sneezing, and sitting may make the pain worse. The pain gets worse when you make these movements because they put more pressure on the nerve. http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/back_problems/bulging_disc/symptoms
          
  • What are the treatments?
          "Rest, ice, physical therapy, medications, and injections. Alternative treatments may include chiropractic manipulation, traction, electrical stimulation and acupuncture. In most cases, bulging disc patients experience relief after trying one or more of these treatments. http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/back_problems/bulging_disc/symptoms

So, that's what I am going to do.  My boss/chiropractor "says" he can knock it out in 7-10 days.  It has already been 2 weeks. So, we will go from there.  I am still going to do no exercise until I can walk without pain.  When that happens I will go to the pool and elliptical unless there is pain.

I had signed up a few months ago for a half marathon Sept 24 and another one Oct 8.  I had already accepted that I would be eating that money and not running.  I am still not 100% sure I will be running those races even though this injury can be fixed faster than a stress fracture, but there is a sliver of hope.

Have you ever had a bulging disc?
How did it affect you?


Would you run in the races?


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment