Friday, July 23, 2010

6 days(I pray earlier)

How far along? 39 weeks 1 day
How big is baby? Average size: a bit over 7lbs(a mini watermelon)




Average length: about 20 inches head to heel
What is baby doing this week? "Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth.  The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath."




What about mama?  "At each of your now-weekly visits, your caregiver will do an abdominal exam to check your baby's growth and position. She might also do an internal exam to see whether your cervix has started ripening: softening, effacing (thinning out), and dilating (opening). But even armed with this information, there's still no way for your caregiver to predict exactly when your baby is coming. If you go past your due date, your caregiver will schedule you for fetal testing (usually a sonogram) after 40 weeks to ensure that it's safe to continue the pregnancy. If you don't go into labor on your own, most practitioners will induce labor when you're between one and two weeks overdue — or sooner if there's an indication that the risk of waiting is greater than the risks of delivering your baby without further delay.




While you're waiting, it's important to continue to pay attention to your baby's movements and let your caregiver know right away if they seem to decrease. Your baby should remain active right up to delivery, and a noticeable slowdown in activity could be a sign of a problem. Also call if you think your water may have broken. Membranes rupture before the beginning of labor in about 8 percent of term pregnancies. Sometimes there's a big gush of fluid, but sometimes there's only a small gush or a slow leak. (Don't try to make the diagnosis yourself. Call even if you only suspect you have a leak.) If you rupture your membranes and don't start contractions on your own, you'll be induced."


Dr. appt update:
Weight: up 1/2 a lb.  Total gain 32lbs
Pee cup: normal
Blood pressure: Excellent
Fundal height: 38weeks(still doesn't mean much)
Cervix check: Still at 3cm, 70% effaced and as low as she is going to get until labor.
*Dr. did sweep my membranes though.  It was a little uncomfortable as she goes back and forth massaging my membranes to get them to produce the hormone prostaglandins.  This is supposed to aid in labor inducing naturally. It is supposed to work better if one is dilated and thinned and should work in up to 48hours.  NO LUCK YET!!

 Sleep: Very uncomfortable!!!
Best moment of the week: EVERYTHING is ready for her!
Movement: Painful!
Cravings: Nothing really these days.
What I miss? Comfort.
What I am looking forward to: Going in to labor.  I know some women are scared of labor, but I am not.  The sooner I go into labor, the sooner our baby girl will be here.  We are ready to be parents and need a baby to do that for real!!
Milestones:6 days until due date.
How is daddy? Just as anxious as I am. 

9 comments:

  1. Yayyyy how exciting!!!! Ava is almost here!! You most be so excited and anxious. I pray that you have a great delivery =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way; not scared about labor at all, just wanting it to GET HERE!! I hope she comes soon for ya; but hey late isn't bad either. Sweeping membranes didn't work for me, but I'll cross my fingers that it is diff for you and that you go into labor in the next 48 hours :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. what are you doing up so early? No sleep? :(

    I still can't believe you're in your 39th wk!!! Here's hoping your next post is to announce the little one's birth.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe you're so close! Good luck and can't wait to hear about Ava's arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so close!! Now that all is ready for her I am sure she will make an entrance as soon as she is ready!! I hope for you that this is soon! Cannot wait to read the "welcome to the world Ava" post!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hang in there girl!!!! i am in the exact same boat you are! the full moon didnt help last night,and I AM SO READY!
    i see my dr on thursday and i am just HOPING labor is one step closer.....
    we may just deliver on the same day,but i have a feeling you will go before i will-my baby girl seems WAY to comfortable in my belly right now...lol!

    sending positive vibes your way and hope you go into labor ASAP!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so close! Can't wait to *meet* her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omigosh, you're going to burst! I hope she gets here soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there!! You're so close, she''ll be here any day, so exciting!! Can't wait for the "she's here" post!

    ReplyDelete