How far along? 36 weeks
How big is baby? Average size: almost 6 pounds Average Length: more than 18 1/2 inches, head to heel
What is baby doing this week? "Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.
At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely she's in a head-down position. But if she isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an "external cephalic version," which is a fancy way of saying she'll try to coax your baby into a head-down position by manipulating her from the outside of your belly."
What about mama? "Now that your baby is taking up so much room, you may have trouble eating a normal-size meal. Smaller, more frequent meals are often easier to handle at this point. On the other hand, you may have less heartburn and have an easier time breathing when your baby starts to "drop" down into your pelvis. This process — called lightening — often happens a few weeks before labor if this is your first baby. (If you've given birth before, it probably won't happen before labor starts.) If your baby drops, you may also feel increased pressure in your lower abdomen, which may make walking increasingly uncomfortable, and you'll probably find that you have to pee even more frequently. If your baby is very low, you may feel lots of vaginal pressure and discomfort as well. Some women say it feels as though they're carrying a bowling ball between their legs!
You might also notice that your Braxton Hicks contractions are more frequent now. Be sure to review the signs of labor with your practitioner and find out when she wants to hear from you."
Dr. update:
Ava's heartbeat was up at 159. Nothing to worry about.
My weight was up a lb. Normal!
Blood pressure: Superb
Strep b test: Done. I will find out results next week, but I am not worried either way.
Fundal height-Right on at 36 weeks.
Internals will start at 38 weeks.
She said that we have hit the point that if we do go into labor that they would not stop it! Whoo hoo!!
Symptoms: Still swelling in the ankles dept. I started having honest to goodness contractions last Saturday. They are mild and I only have about 2/day. I wasn't sure, but when we went to our 26 week appt yesterday, our doc said yep that is contractions.
(Here is how mine feel. Everyone is different. My lower back starts to hurt and then it feels like period cramps in my lower belly/pelvic area. It only lasts about a min or so.)
Maternity clothes: No other way.
Sleep: I get naps at night. The other night I set a record for peeing 5 times! 5 times! Can you believe that? I have to cut myself off of liquids around 8 now.
Best moment last week? Feeling contractions. I know I am odd, but I am ready for Ava Quinn F to be here!!
Movement: She is still head down and is pretty much in the same spot, BUT her movements are so much more predominant and she has hit the "alien in mama's belly, trying to get out" stage.
Cravings: Nothing new.
Belly Button in or out: It's in, until I sit down and then it starts to poke out.
What I miss? The simple things my body used to do that I took for granted.
What I am looking forward to:
Milestones: If we go in labor it is ok.
How is daddy? As anxious for her to be here as I am.

So close!! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you!!!
ReplyDeleteDitto, ditto and ditto. So excited to feel things like contractions and pelvic pressure. It means this is really happening! I, too, have hit the alien stage. It's so strange to see my belly dancing when I'm just sitting still.
ReplyDeleteCome on out, Ava! We all want to meet you!
Not much longer now - glad things are still going well. Can't wait to hear of her arrival!
ReplyDelete