Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This is what I do

(This post talks about body image and my body struggles.  I am just giving you a heads-up!)

Yesterday was a pretty typical day at the gym.  In case you haven't read my About me section, I manage and personal train one of the fastest growing franchise gyms in the country, SNAP FITNESS.

I love my job.  Don't get me wrong, there are better days than others, but overall I love to get up and go to work each day.  There are SO MANY people who don't have the first idea about what to do a t a gym.  They are my favorite members because they are like a blank canvas.  It is so fun to watch them learn and ask questions and look to ME for advice.  It is still very humbling after 3 years. 

Although, I train and am at the gym all day it is still hard to get in a good workout. I do get interupted at times, but it is part of the job.


My workout today:
Single leg squats to a bench. 4x12
Asst. pull-ups 3x12
Squats as low as possible with bar with shoulder press 4x10
Flat bench chest press 4x10
Decline situp/twists 4x10.


Being someone with an overweight story, I feel like the women especially can connect to me on a better level.  I am a petite woman, so at first new members/clients think "you have never had to worry about what you eat!"  OH CONTRARE!  I have and do. 

My mindset has definately changed over the past year.  I REALLY struggled with being at the BEST SHAPE of my life and it hurt my body in the process.  I had the ultimate figure athlete body with 13% body fat and chiseled muscles. The PROBLEM with that is fugure athletes are at the peak of their shape at competition time, I was at the PEAK for months.  It wreaked havoc on my body and hormones.  I started going to therapy and since have COMPLETELY changed my thinking.  The decision to change was made easy by the decision to try to get pregnant.  I didn't want to be pregnant and NOT be healthy myself.  How could I carry a healthy baby?? 

After months of getting to a healthy weight, adding body fat and scaling back lifting weights once a week (I still get to run thank goodness) we started having...wait for it....UNPROTECTED SEX!!!  That's right.  6 months and nothing happened. I mean nothing.  No period, no pregnancy.  NADA.  That's when we decided to go to the R.E. to figure out what the heck was going on.  Our R.E. established my hormones were not up to par. 

It has now been 8 months and today I will finish my last round of Clomid.  I am nervous about this time working.  I know there are women who have been struggling twice as long as we have and I commend them highly for it.  It is an emotional roller coaster. Let me tell ya.

Thanks to my new friend Kate, whom I have a lot in common with, I decided to write a post about my previous struggles.  Only a handful of my friends and family know about my previous struggles and now our difficulties getting pregnant.  When the day of conception occurs, I will tell them about this blog.

Thanks for reading IF YOU WERE ABLE TO GET THROUGH IT.  Some serious stuff on today's post, but I feel 10x better getting it out.

Have a blessed day and Cross your fingers for Kate and Benjamin!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Thank you so much for the shoutout! You are also amazing for sharing your struggles with everyone -- it's not easy to put it all out there and announce, "I suck at something that I'm supposed to be good at".

    Although it's scary to see all of the infertility blogs and stories of women who have been struggling for longer than we've ever been of childbearing age, it gives me so much hope to see ALL of the different ways women are able to have kids these days. We have SO MANY options. And there are some pretty amazing docs out there who can help.

    Good luck to you! I hope I can share some GOOD NEWS with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really great post! There is a lot going on with our bodies all the time and I love it when people talk honestly.

    good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lost my period twice throughout my life and I was eventually able to become pregnant. My pregnancy was not planned but conception was many months after reaching a healthy body weight. My daughter is now 18 months old and happy and healthy. I wouldn't change a thing. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete