Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ava's 1st doctor visit

          Yesterday, we took Ava for her 1st visit to see Dr. N.  We really didn't know what to expect at the visit.  We had met Dr. N in the hospital when he came to check on her each morning and we really liked him.  We didn't do an interview with Dr. N, but a friend at church gave him very high regards and we trusted her judgment.  We were not disappointed.  He treats us and Ava like people and not just another patient to get in and out of the office. 
          We sat in the newborn waiting area until we, well Ava, was called back.  The nurse took us to the room and started asking us questions about the delivery, if we are breastfeeding or bottle feeding, (I am breastfeeding.), how many pees and poops she is having a day, any concerns, and a few more questions about Ava.  We took her adorable outfit off and got her down to her diaper and they weighed her in at 7lbs, 4oz.  Remembering that scales can be off some, she has lost 7oz from her 7lbs, 11oz birth weight.  This loss of weight is normal since I am breastfeeding and my milk just came in completely today.  Her length was recorded as well as her head circumference.  We went back to the room and waited for Dr. N.  He came in about 15 minutes later and looked at her color, which is good, checked her heartbeat and pulse, felt of her tummy, and looked at her belly button.  Everything he checked was good. 
          Whew, relief.  We have noticed that for us, there is always that concern about htings going on with her and just want confirmation that everything is healthy for her.
           We go back to see Dr. N at Ava's 2 week birthday, which is next Saturday, but we will go that Monday morning.

4 comments:

  1. OMG Courtney! Congrats!!! She is so beautiful. I haven't checked any blogs since my little guy arrived but I've been thinking about you! Can't wait to hear more about your first few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I just found you over at The Tarr Pit! I will be sticking around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the first doctor's appointment went so well!!!! XOXO!

    P.S. More pics please!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Courtney! Congratulations on your newest addition! Congratulations on an 'uneventful' well check up (the best kind). Welcome to motherhood and all it's joys! Enjoy your little one and be patient, you will join me on my journey soon enough!!

    ReplyDelete