Monday, December 7, 2009

Busy bee eats food.

Hi there bloggy friends.  Do you ever start writing a post and really have no idea what you are going to write about???  That is me today my dears.  I don't have a clue what direction this will take, so be prepared. 

I had a very busy weekend.
Saturday-Clean house, work 10-1pm, Xmas party that me, my mom, and sis help run each year 4-11:30pm
Sunday-church, nap, Baby shower, shop some with my mom, meeting at church.

I am starting off the week tired.  Although being tired seems to be a common symptom for me, I am even more tired from this weekend and because I didn't sleep very well last night.  I kept dreaming about our u/s on Wednesday.  I dreamed we were having twins too!  Scary.  We shall see though. 

I am extremely nervous about the appt though.   A couple of my pregnant friends are going through some scary things with their babies health right now and I, of course, start thinking of everything that can go wrong.  I know that is not good for me or the baby, but hey it is a reality. 

Let's talk a little nutrition.  I have always been very dilgent in keeping up with my calories, fat, protein, and carbs through Sparkpeople.  It has kept me in check to get to a comfortable baby carrying weight.  I am slightly OCD and put in everything I eat everyday as well as my exercise. 

According to all of the literature, once you are pregnant, you keep your calories about the same the 1st tri, increase 300 calories the 2nd tri, and up to 500 extra calories the 3rd tri.

I am going to talk to my RE Wednesday when we meet with her and ask her what she thinks I should do.  I am on the low end of the "normal" BMI.  I also came to the conclusion that I am NOT going to track what I eat anymore.  It has become a hassle and a controlling factor.  Days when I am not hungry, I HAVE to eat because I HAVE to his those calories.  It becomes forced and not fun.  Other days when I am starving, I don't eat that extra snack because I HAVE to stay within my calorie range.  Hungry+Courtney+Angry=HANGRY. 

I am done.  I am packing lots of food for my LONG days at work and when I am hungry I will eat and I won't when I am not.  I am not going to go overboard and eat at every fast food place and eat cartons of ice cream.(well maybe on occasion!  I did crave a McDonald's sausage biscuit Saturday, although I let it just be a craving and didn't go through with it.)  I just know that this is a time for me to nourish this baby and myself.  I will pick foods that I can stomach and that appeal to me.  I'm going to trust my doctors and listen to what THEY want me to do to ensure the healthiest baby possible.

I am so content and happy about this decision and this weekend, went really well putting it in to practice.

What do you think you girls will do, are doing, or have done about pregnancy nutrition???

On another food for thought moment.  What is your opinion of women drinking wine while pregnant??
At the Xmas party on Saturday, a woman who is about 10 weeks was drinking wine.  It kind of threw me for a loopity loop.  I don't agree with it, but was curious as to what you thought!

Have a great day!  Xmas is 18 days away!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I am a worrier myself and I can't even imagine how anxious the first few weeks must feel. I don't know if it ever goes away, but I do know that everything is okay with your dumplin'! That u/s will be SO GOOD for you.

    And as for the vino, I think I would maybe have a small glass here or there...but def after the first trimester!! Seeing the 10-week preggers lady drinking wine would've thrown me for a loop, too. Btw, I think your nutrition plan sounds awesome. See what your RE thinks.

    Hang in!! The u/s will be GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the drinking wine while pregnant, I think when you're past the first trimester and if it's a special occasion (New Years), it might be okay to have a small glass. But at 10 weeks??! That would have freaked me out too.

    Good luck with the U/S. I'm having on Wednesday too, but unfortunately it's only to see if I have follies not to look at a baby. Will be thinking of ya!

    oh and thanks for the cookie recipe!! I love chocolate jo jos (that's what my family calls em)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to hear about your u/s! I agree, I think you should eat when you're hungry and eat what you feel like. I always do the best when I don't obsess and eat when I'm hungry. But talk to your Dr also b/c they may want you to eat a certain amount.
    As for drinking, a sip here and there is probably fine but I wouldn't drink anything the first trimester and then just a sip here and there if I CRAVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you made an AWESOME decision for you and the little sweet pea. You shouldn't be stressing about weight or eating right now. If you're hungry? EAT. If you're not? Don't force yourself to eat, but definitely make sure you are getting enough nutrients for that little bebe to grow big and strong. Your RE will have more concrete advice, I'm sure.

    As for the wine thing, previous to being pregnant myself, I would have said, "Oh, a little here and there is no big deal". But then I read in "What to Expect" that the baby's blood alcohol level is THE SAME as the mother's. That means that the mother could be barely tipsy, and the baby could be wasted. NOT COOL and NOT WORTH THE RISK in my opinion. A sip? Sure. But why even make yourself feel deprived? I say make yourself and mocktail and praise the heavens above that you're pregnant. No need to push the envelope.

    CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR U/S TOMORROW!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you are taking a prenatal vitamin then you are good to go. There were many days in my first tri that all I could stomach was saltines! I just ate what I felt like eating and everything was fine.
    As far as drinking - I had some sips of wine during the 3rd trimester. Other than that I really had no desire to drink. A big No-No during your first tri! I did have major beer dreams though! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me say that I think you are doing the right thing by not obsessing over what you eat, when you eat, how much, etc. I do that now and I need to STOP so that when I do have a "bun in my oven" its plain healthy. Eat when you are hungry... make healthy choices and you will be fine. =)
    As for drinking wine while prego... Honestly I think a SMALL glass (not an actual serving) is probably fine but people probably shouldn't openly do it at a christmas party because it does offend others. I think it's all a personal choice but can be risky to the baby so probably best to just say no. Just one of those things.

    ReplyDelete