Our wild and crazy night started out with a little of this.
We get wild and craazzzyyyy on date night. Honestly, it doesn't matter what we do on date night. It is about the experience and the one you are with.
Have you had a date night lately??
Thursday night, I was training one of my clients and we were talking about her family and how busy her life is. Some sessions are light conversation and some are of a more serious nature with her. We were talking about how she wears many many hats. (wife, mom, taxi driver, errand runner, school function supporter, laundromat worker, cook) I'm sure there are more. The point of the conversation was that she has no idea who SHE is anymore. This is one of the reasons she put on weight during pregnancies and never lost it. (her kids are teenagers) I had to help her understand that she won't be truly happy until SHE is truly happy and find out who she is again. This is easier said than done though. Especially since her kids and husband NEED her so much.
I can relate to her because I am in the stage of my life where I am really figuring out who Courtney is. For 26 years of my life I let everyone around me decide things for me because it was easier for me to let them decide and keep the peace. I am a peace keeper and don't like to ruffle feathers.
When I started going to therapy, she would have me do an exercise in choosing things I like. I was stumped. It had been so long that I had no clue of how to begin to decide on things I liked. Clint was involved by helping me and sometimes making me decide on things (big or small). It was hard. I didn't want to make a decision and then disappoint someone because that isn't what they wanted to do.
Over time, I am finding out things that I like and don't like and not feeling sorry for it. Don't get me wrong sometimes it is hard for me to still pick things and Clint does get frustrated ( he has to decide most things because I am stubborn and have NO opinion). I just take a step back, analyze the situation and ask myself "what do you want?" Sometimes I find out and sometimes I go with the flow.
I am so much happier knowing that I have the power inside of me to decide what I like and dislike. I don't have to be sorry for it. I don't have to change my mind. Although, I can and most of the time compromise about things, I CAN make a decision.
I love who I am. Quirks, indecisiveness, and imperfections. Its ME.
Do you know who you truly are?
Are you a decision maker?
No comments:
Post a Comment