Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lazy Sunday and oatmeal.

It is Sunday!  Which means the weekend is coming to an end.  Last weekend, I was spoiled being with Clint and Ava the entire weekend.  This weekend I had to work and Clint was at his yearly work seminar.  We did skip church(oops) this morning and go to breakfast together and Costco for a few odds and ends and have spent the day watching football.

I was able to get in a fast and furious workout yesterday of 30 min elliptical and Supersets of Bicep Barbell curls and Barbell shoulder press, then Supersets of Fire hydrants and Romanian lunges(whew a little burn here) in before I had to go pick Ava up at my parent's house. This was great since I hadn't been to the gym since my de-virginizing spin day on last Wednesday! (I can't wait until Wednesday morning spin!)

Yesterday, when I was at work, I was reading email and my sista in crime Melissa had asked if I had measured yet.  The last time I measured was 2.5 weeks ago. I felt for sure things hadn't changed, so I thought what the heck, why not.  It will give me some extra motivation in the gym. 
I am down 3 total inches!!
-.5in  in my hips/butt
-.5in in my waist(belly button area)
-.5in in my high waist area
-1.5in in my bust!! (not the boobs but underneath;the back fat area)
I am thrilled!  Even though, the scale is still hovering in the same vacinity, I am changing and that is super motivation for me.  Most days, I can't tell things are going ANYWHERE, this is proof that my hard work in the gym and with my nutrition is paying off.

***On to mama-boob talk.  If you are done reading, have a great rest of the day.  If you are interested, read on!

On another note, I wanted to talk about milk supply for a minute.  Before, I started working out post partum, I was worried that exercise and nutrition would lower my supply.  Through, my Ph.D in Google and talking to some exercise buds, I have learned that if I am eating balanced and getting plenty H20 I should be fine. 
(There are different remedies that have been known to boost supply.) http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_fenugreek.html.

Although, oatmeal hasn't been scientifically proven to boost milk supply, some women say it works.  I decided to do my own little experiment.  Well, techinically I didn't know I was I was doing this experiment until after I did it. haha. I love oatmeal and have it every morning, just because it is so versatile and it feels me up for a while.  In my oatmeal, I tend to add yogurt and cottage cheese for protein and I had run out of cottage cheese, I think it was on Tuesday of this week.  Anywho, I digress.  I decided I was going to have an egg and egg whites and some toast until I could get some more cottage cheesefor my oatmeal.  The two days I did this, my milk supply was way down. I wasn't sure why though.   I can usually get 4oz at a time every 3 hours. These two days I barely got 2oz at a time.  I started to freak out because the milk I pump at work is typically enough for me to take to my mom's house for Ava the next day.  (This means I don't have to dip in to frozen stash. Not only that, but I felt defeated.  I tooting my horn a bit, but I am very blessed to be good a producing a lot of milk!  Just call me ELSIE.  I felt like I was letting my precious girl down.  So, I started to guesstimate if I was getting enough calories and if I had had enough water these days and I had! What the heck is going on?  Then, I thought about the oatmeal phenomenon.  Friday morning I had some to see if it would help.  Lo and behold, ELSIE was back.  I have had it every morning since and I have been back to a milk producing machine!  Oatmeal=E.V.E.R.Y. D.A.Y. 
Now, I am not saying this works for everyone.  This is what works for me and keeps up my supply.  So,if you have low supply, try oatmeal.  It might work for you!

Have a great rest of the weekend!  Make it count!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea oatmeal could work so well. What kind do you eat? I have been so bad about eating breakfast because I never have a enough time, but I could easily get in some oatmeal. I'm going to go get some ASAP!

    Thanks for the passing on the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be encouraged by your measurements...you're getting leaner and maintaining your muscle!

    Although I don't have kids yet I LOVED your tip on oatmeal (maybe because I'm a huge nutrition nerd???). I'm going to remember that one in the next few years :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! just did a post on how difficult pumping has been and then read about how you get 4 oz every 3 hours! Amazing.

    I'm simultaneously nursing Birdie so my expectations aren't that high, but any tips you have on how to get better results out of pumping would be great. How did you build up to where you're at now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that same thing about oatmeal! I eat it every day but unfortunately it isn't working for me. At the same time, however, Chloe is living mostly on formula and I don't pump as often as I should. That's probably why my supply has already diminished so much. I've gone back and forth about giving fenugreek a go (and resuming bfeeding and pumping more often) but I've heard mixed things about that, too. I so wish I would've had better luck with it to begin with! I love these kinds of tips.. :)

    ReplyDelete