Thursday, December 2, 2010

4 month check up and spin me

Well good morning lovies!  It is a cold one here in Nashville this morning.  27degrees of brisk December weather.  Definitely makes Xmas feel like its on its way. 

Ava had her 4 month check up yesterday. 
Weight: 13lbs 3 oz
Height: 1st measurement was 22.25in.

Dr. Jay came in and asked if we had questions for him.  Um of course I do. 
Questions and answers:
Do we need to clean her ears? No!  The only thing we should do is if we see wax on the edge of her ear to get it with a cloth.  Otherwise, no cleaning inside.
Her pooping is every day OR every other day.  Is that normal? Yes,  she is at the stage that they become less and less.  If they start to become hard and pebbly then that might be cause for concern.
Her poop is less seedy that it was. Is that normal?(breastfed babies tend to have liquidy poop with grainy poopyseed thingies in it.) Yes, that is normal as well.
Her poop is changing smells(like whew Ava, something crawled up your rear and died).  Is this my fault?  Is this normal? It is not my fault since I RARELY change my eating habits.  Her bowels are getting stronger and her poops are less so it will not smell like perfume. (We thought so, but my mom swears every time she poops it is MY FAULT. )
Should we start feeding her cereal?  How much?  When? We can start any where from 4-6 months.  It is up to us.  He recommended rice cereal that is iron fortified.  1 tablespoon once a day for a couple of weeks to see how she takes it.  It will take an adjustment for her since it is a different texture.  We are to add breastmilk to it.  We can steadily add veggies(yes!) but no more that 1 new food every 5 days.  Just in case she has a reaction to a certain food. 
Clint asked if my flu shot gives Ava the antibodies to fight of the flu? (great question!)  Dr. Jay really didn't know, BUT breastfeeding is amazing.  For instance, if Ava is sick and she breastfeeds, my body AUTOMATICALLY starts making antibodies to fight off her germs so that the NEXT feeding the milk is full of antibodies to fight whatever she has.  I think that is AMAZING!

Dr. Jay recommended we give her a vitamin D supplement.  Polyvisol is what he recommended we give her. I am going to research this today and learn more about it.  He did say that breastmilk doesn't transfer a lot of Vitamin D to Ava.  I am going to google that for sure today.

After our questions were answered he evaluated Ava.  She is such a ham.  Reaching for his moving fingers, sitting up when he tested her strength, smiling when prompted.  She is healthy as a horse.  He then told us that her weight was normal but her she had shrank some!  Huh WHAT??  He said, we are going to take her measurements again, and if it is the same we might want to watch that.  um Ok.  After he was finished with us, we went and got her length again.  The nurse was off by an INCH!!!  She was 23.25 in.  Perfectly normal growth. SHEESH LADY!  Way to give mama heart palpitations. 

Now it was shot time.  I got the flu shot while I was there.  (boy, is my arm SORE this morning.)  She had to have an oral cocktail, 2 shots in her right leg and 1 in her left.  Poor baby.  She CRIED this time.  I felt so bad.  But after we picked her up she calmed down. 

Our next appt is in 2 months at her 6 month birthday.  She wasn't nor hasn't been fussy since her shots.  She slept like a rock. Oh and now that she is rolling over from her back, it takes all of 5.2 minutes for her to roll to her belly to sleep in her crib.  She is her mama's daughter.  I am a belly sleeper.  It was torture while I was pregnant, let me tell ya.

Last night was spin class.  Woop woop.  I was a gloriously sweaty mess.  I have made friends with the instructor and another girl in class.  We "bonded" last week since we were the only 3 in class.  I like them because they push me in class.  I can't let either of them out do me.  Heck no. 

Tonight will be cardio and weights at the gym.  Not sure what I am going to do, but stop by tomorrow and see how I made my hour of working out worthwhile.

Randomness... Do you love to read?  What book are you reading these days.  What genres do you love??
I love love love to read.  I am a bookworm all the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment