Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Intimidation

Wow, was yesterday a busy day for me.  I was slammed with patients and 4 personal training clients.  I love being busy though!  I would much rather be running around like a chicken with my head cut off than sitting and twiddling my thumbs.

My gym trip yesterday.  I am feeling so much better.  My workouts have been eh, kind of puny because my body was just wore out and I listened to the wise ole body to not force a hard workout.  That was not the case today.  I was ready for a good hard sweaty sesh at the gym.  Oh and that is exactly what I accomplished.
First, let me talk about my gym.  It is a pretty "meat-head" kind of gym after 4pm.  The gym is broken up into different sections.
-Women's only area( I call it vagina-land)
-Legs area
-Ab room
-Circuit machines
-Dumbbells and barbells
-Huge area with machines and free weights (this is testosterone world!)

Even though, I know what to do and how to lift and am in pretty good shape, I workout in the women-only area.  I am typically the only one in this room working out, so I can grunt and look ridiculous working out and no one knows any different.(really, NO ONE looks amazing doing burpees!!)  There are a couple of reasons why I work out there.
1. I am by myself, so I can focus on the task at hand.
2. I can look ridiculous and not worry about someone watching me.
3. I am intimidated by "testosterone world". LIKE A LOT!!
4. I'm not a huge fan of being noticed when I workout.
5. I am self conscious about how I look.  Like I can't go to testosterone world until I am in the best shape possible. (I'm nuts!)

Well, last night I did my cardio ( I will list it below) and then went to Vagina land.  There was this girl in there who had killer arms and I was immediately intimidated and self conscious.  Of course, burpees would be in my workout! (see above). I had two choices.
1. Continue to be intimidated and change my routine
         OR
2. Kick my ever-loving rear!

I picked option 2!  Even though, she intimidated me at first, I CHOSE to use that intimidation as MOTIVATION.  I CHOSE to focus on each of my exercises and do them hard and to the best of my ability.  I CHOSE to be happy with how far I have come. (I have my top 4 abs back!!!)  I CHOSE to love the fact that my baby girl was in the Kid care waiting on her mama to kick her own butt for her health and let's face it her sanity.

I am still intimidated to venture out into testosterone world, but for right now, in my journey getting me back, I am ok with the women only section of the gym.  I will get enough cojones to get to the intimidating sections eventually.  But bring it, killer arm girl, because I will be the killer arm girl someday soon!

My workout.
(I did a TABATA workout and holy Mary mother!  I was exhausted.)
Cardio:
Ellip for 18 min (random)
Dreadmill:
1 min 5.5mph
1min 6mph
1 min 7mph
1 min 8mph
repeat 6mph-8mph 3x
2 min cooldown

Cycle 1:
Speed squats
Burpees
Mountain Climbers
Squat jumps
-repeat 3 times
Cycle 2
20lb barbell
Bicep curls
shoulder press
bent over rows
laying flat chest press
-repeat 3 times
Cycle 3
Bicycles
In, up, outs
Flutters
Frog Crunches
-repeat 2 times.

DONE AND DONE! Thankfully!

Are there areas of the gym that intimidate you?
Are there people at the gym or otherwise that motivate you?

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment